[mythtv-users] Re: Playing image(.iso) file in Mythvideo

Neil neil-on-mythtv at restricted.dyndns.org
Fri Jul 8 22:27:20 EDT 2005

>the problem I found with mplayer and xine is that neither would show
>subtitles. mplayer just flatly refused to do so even when following
>the instructions to the letter, and xine would just lockup X. VLC,
>however, worked without much trouble at all. The hardest part of using
>VLC was learning what the command line statement should be so that it
>would quit after playback. Once properly configured, it beats the
>others like a drum!

Hi Bob,

I'm just one of the lucky guys then. I don't have any issues with subtitles
in xine. I really like xine because it's also able to send DTS stream to my
receiver via the spdif out. My receiver then automatically detects the DTS
stream and decodes the 5.1 channel. Another thing I like in xine are the
menus/keymaps. I was able to easily map the lirc buttons I have configured
before. If xine is the active window, myth configured lirc buttons/keymaps
are not called which is cool.

How does VLC handle 5.1 channels? This way, I will be able to write down
some notes in case I want to try VLC for watching imaged dvds. Btw, if
someone is interested in the 5.1 settings and ALSA:digital, this is what I
experimented and xine just does an awesome job(likewise my yamaha).

Regarding lockups, I still haven't experienced any lockups yet when playing
.iso files in xine.

For someone interested, these are my settings in .xine/config

.version:2
gui.amp_level:95
gui.panel_visible:0
gui.panel_x:700
gui.panel_y:490
gui.control_x:833
gui.control_y:568
gui.kbedit_x:960
gui.kbedit_y:458
gui.mrl_browser_x:2090
gui.mrl_browser_y:573
gui.setup_x:1107
gui.setup_y:409
audio.a52_pass_through:1
audio.five_lfe_channel:1
audio.device.alsa_front_device:default
audio.device.alsa_passthrough_device:digital
audio.device.alsa_surround51_device:digital
audio.output.speaker_arrangement:Pass Through
media.files.origin_path:/dev
engine.performance.memcpy_method:sse