[mythtv-users] [OT] Diskless front end (using PXE) - Fedora Core?

Todd French toddfrench1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 02:38:17 EDT 2005

I was just trying this out on FC4 and system-config-netboot didn't
work out all that well for me.  It wasn't NFSRooting properly.  After
a bit of googling I saw other people were having similar problems.
The maintainer of that util was working on it, but even after
upgrading to his newest package it still wasn't working right.  Some
of the threads I saw suggested that perhaps the Fedora kernels broke
some of the netbooting stuff, and in my experimenting I had more luck
with a vanilla kernel than I did recompiling any of the kernels with
the Fedora patches applied.  I did finally get a kernel booting, but
didn't really have the filesystem set up for all the dynamic stuff
/dev etc..  After screwing with it for a couple days I decided that my
time was worth more than just throwing a spare 40gig in it.  I
couldn't find a good howto that was current and applied to what I was
trying to do, although the one posted in this thread looks good after
a glance, I may look into it further and give it another shot.  Bottom
line, if the system-config-netboot worked right, it would be pretty
slick as it basically does everything for you, if it doesn't and
you're new to linux, it might not be worth the effort involved.  The
PXE boot, tftp, dhcp part was easy, it was the kernel image and
NFSroot that was difficult.  I'm no Linux guru, but I've been using it
for a number of years, and even though I could tell it was clearly
possible, the additional time investment to get it working right just
didn't seem worth it to me.  Also as far as installing packages on the
diskless, from what I understand it's not too hard, you just chroot to
your diskless root and go to town.