[mythtv-users] Verdict on EPIA M 10000

Toby Smith maillists at oikade.co.uk
Sat Jul 9 07:49:50 EDT 2005

Peter Schachte wrote:
> I've seen much discussion of getting MythTV running on an Epia M 10000
>
> The machine, as I conceive it now, would be an Epia M 10000 with 2 PCI
> DVI-T cards on an active PCI riser, 250 GB Seagate HDD, DVD burner,
> 512 MB RAM.  I'll use the on-board S-video and S/P DIF outputs.  Not
> sure about the case yet; I like the Silverstone LC-11M, with 2 line
> display and IR remote, but I'm not sure it'll fit.

I have a fairly similar system. The video and audio output are fine for
me, and have been commented on in more detail by other posters.

Where I have had problems that may effect you is in creating a two card
DVB setup (I'm assuming DVI-T is a typo for DVB-T) with an active riser
card. (For those who don't know, the EPIA has a single PCI slot, and
both active and passive risers exist to turn this into a two slot using
certain special features of the EPIA board (allegedly))

Things have worked fine in the bottom slot (which is the direct
equivalent of the motherboard PCI slot) but not the top slot.

Try as I might, I've not been able to get any cards to work in the upper
slot of the riser, with assorted odd behaviour. I started with a Twinhan
that was identified by the system to an extent, but it couldn't get back
enough information about what type of twinhan (Ter or Sat) so no
frontend was produced, and thus the card couldn't be used. (Card was fin
in the bottom slot).

I then tried a Nova-T, which was identified and found the frontend OK,
but caused all sorts of timing problems which rendered it impossible to
get a stream from the card. It developed a habit of logging errors to
syslog at a rate of thousands per minute...

I'm currently working on a USB tuner setup, but haven't had much time to
get that working.

I haven't tried with a passive riser, but considering they apparently
have less ability to switch large datastreams, it's perhaps less likely
to work reliably.

Unless you can find another source of a working twin-card setup, I'd
reconsider (and if you can, please show me where). I'm very happy with
the EPIA otherwise, and fairly sure USB tuner will work, but I'd
probably have chosen a different case if wasn't expecting to fit two
cards, for example. You could try with a passive riser (and buy case
later if that works etc) but I have no data on that.

Oh, and the EPIA-M processor fan is a touch noisy - you may want to
consider a quieter replacement fan if that becomes a problem.

--
Toby Smith