[mythtv-users] Adding borders to a display

Dave Tarkowski dtarkows at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 00:11:58 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to get myth setup on my new TV and I'm almost there, but I'm stuck.

My TV is a 1080i CRT that I am driving from an NVidia Geforce FX 5200
using the DVI output via a DVI-HDMI cable.  I've got everything
working fine with a 1080i modeline in X but the TV clearly doesn't
actually display all of the available pixels.  There is a border of
about 70 pixels on the left and right and about 25 pixels on the top
and bottom.  I imagine that this is because the CRT is partially
blocked by the frame of the TV.

Is there a way to configure X to use the 1080i modeline but indicate
that there should be a border of inactive pixels such that I can
actually see the entire X display?

Thanks,
Dave