[mythtv-users] Importing DVDs to Myth

Scott catfather at donpoo.net
Tue Jul 12 17:06:37 EDT 2005

On Jul 12, 2005, at 4:43 PM, Dg B wrote:

>> Using lsdvd to "unlock" the DVD and then dd to copy it to an ISO
>> is  by far the easy solution. The downside is that because it is a
>> bit  for bit copy this method will take up the most space. On the
>> other  hand, having a bit for bit copy is nice when it comes to
>> making a DVD  Jukebox and hard drives are cheap, right? :)
>
> I'm all for this idea.  Does this process imply that the DVD ISO is
> imported into the MythTV back-end database?  Also, could we export
> & burn the DVD ISO easily?

Yes, I would expect that the MythTV "Import DVD" button I'm
envisioning would not only create the ISO on the file system, but
import the movie meta data (title, cast, description, poster, etc)
into MythVideo for browsing and playback.

No, I'm not looking to impliment any type of "export & burn"
functionality. My goal is simple, create an easy to use DVD Jukebox
extension to MythTV. This of this as a similar idea to the
Kaleidescape DVD Jukebox (See http://www.kaleidescape.com/).

My first pass would be to use MythTV infrastructure to get a
functioning proof of concept going. That is, a button on the DVD menu
that would work as I previously described:

1) Copy the DVD as an ISO file to the file system
2) Use imdb.pl or other tools to get the DVD movie data
3) Insert the movie data into the MythVideo DB
4) Allow users to browse the DVD collection, view the DVD info, and
play back DVD ISOs from MythVideo

For a lot of people this would be good enough to be used daily.

Beyond that, (and this is definitely a ways off and pie in the sky
kind of thinking) I think I would like to see a project dedicated to
making a backend DVD Jukebox storage system with plugins for web
clients, exporting DVD lists, various methods of searching (studio,
actors, titles, etc), and browsing and playback from PVR software
like MythTV or Freevo. In the specific case of MythTV, such a DVD
Jukebox backend should be able to reside on either the MythTV backend
or MythTV FE/BE combo box.

Again, let me state that I know about MythTV 'rip dvd' feature and
think that's cool. This is different in that it provides bit for bit
copies of the DVD imported on the HDD and has full function extras,
menus, sound tracks, and subtitles which can be played with something
like xine. Yes, doing it this way would require a lot of storage,
especially for DVD collections that some people (like myself) have. A
cheaper solution would be making Linux talk to a Sony 400 Disc DVD
Mega changer. Clearly this idea isn't for everyone. :)

--
Scott <catfather at donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1