[mythtv-users] Importing DVDs to Myth

Scott catfather at donpoo.net
Tue Jul 12 23:28:40 EDT 2005

On Jul 12, 2005, at 9:03 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> OK, well I suggested a script to rip the DVD, make an iso and do the
> metadata with the script being linked in to one of the menus.
>
> That is easy if the script is non-interactive, but this script would
> need some interactivity.
>
> For one thing the iso will need to be named. The name will need to be
> user supplied because AFAIK there is no equivalent to the cddb for
> DVD's. Also the IMDB search is dependent on the name. The IMDB search
> may also fail, in which case you need to supply an IMDB number
> manually
> or enter the metadata yourself. This is starting to look suspiciously
> like the facility already built into mythvideo.
>
> Therefore my approach (without writing a whole lot of C++ to make a
> plugin) would be to have a script that simply rips the dvd to iso, and
> prompts for a name. It then puts the iso in the mythvideo
> directory, and
> you do the metadata stuff in the existing gui.
>
> I am not sure how best to prompt for the name.

I think this is the right idea. But this is a fall back situation.
The way I see it working (without actually understanding fully MythTV
capabilities )is as follows:

1) IMDB (or amazon.com?) search based on disc title
2a) For one result display a confirm results screen
2b) For multiple results display a select disc screen
2c) For no results prompt for some key info then go to step 1 (maybe
the barcode off the dvd case?)
3) After disc meta data is confirmed THEN do the DVD import using
lsdvd + dd (no ripping)
4) Store disc meta data into MythVideo after the DVD copy finishes
(exit success)

Obviously this is not full proof but I think the idea of itself
should handle 90% of the discs out there. Rather than make it perfect
on the first pass I'm more interested in getting it started. Make it
work then make it better, it's the Linux Way(tm).

On the issue of ISO naming, one the meta data is had something can be
done to gen some sane file names. Of course there will be issues. For
example, TV show box sets (ie: The West Wing Season 1 vs The West
Wing Season 2) often have non-unique disc names across multiple discs.

By the way, I should really look into exactly what is possible and is
not possible with MythTV before I get such grand ideas of how the
thing should work. ;)

--
Scott <catfather at donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1