[mythtv-users] New Install Recommendations

Cecil Watson cwatson at linkline.com
Wed Jul 13 23:02:29 EDT 2005

Thom Paine wrote:
> I know everyone has their preference, and I've used RedHat for a long
> time, but for ease of installation and maintenance, what are some of
> the other installs that people are using?

KnoppMyth!
> I tried MythDora, and I always seem to have some sort of a snag. Just
> when I thought it was working good, I find that it doesn't tune to the
> proper channel for recording.

Did you try to trouble shoot this?  What tuner do you have?  Did you try
an updated driver?  Did you specify the proper tuner type (if needed)?
My point is I don't think this is a MythDora (Swiper, swiper, you stole
my idea ;) issue.
> I'm downloading KnoppMyth as I type this, and will give it a try.
:)

> I recently tried installing Gentoo on my spare laptop, and had had
> really good success. Many people running Gentoo using Myth?
>
> Basically I'm looking for solid backend and and will likely use Xboxes
> for frontends where I have TV's.
I've ran KnoppMyth on several boxes and it has been rock solid.

> I've been using FC4 on my good laptop, and I'd think that I wouldn't
> want to run this on the backend just yet. I like FC3, but these few
> changes is making it hard to get a working install.
>
> Thanks.

Regards,

Cecil