[mythtv-users] [OT] ivtv troubles

Matthew Daubenspeck matt at oddprocess.org
Thu Jul 14 20:59:43 EDT 2005

I know this is a bit OT, but I have tried all of the other lists and
haven't had any luck solving the issue. I know mythtv-user's are always
glad to help :)

In short, I can't modprobe ivtv.

I have been having this problem with kernels starting with 2.6.11-x
including the most recent 2.6.12 version. They are all gentoo kernels,
and I have also tried them with kernels directly from kernel.org with
the same result. Here is the error:

# modprobe ivtv
WARNING: Error inserting i2c_core (/lib/modules/2.6.12-gentoo-r4/kernel/drivers/i2c/i2c-core.ko): Un
known symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting i2c_algo_bit (/lib/modules/2.6.12-gentoo-r4/kernel/drivers/i2c/algos/i2c-al
go-bit.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting ivtv (/lib/modules/2.6.12-gentoo-r4/extra/ivtv.ko): Unknown symbol in module,
 or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

Here is dmesg:

i2c_core: Unknown parameter `i2c_debug'
i2c_algo_bit: Unknown symbol i2c_del_adapter
i2c_algo_bit: Unknown symbol i2c_add_adapter
ivtv: Unknown symbol i2c_bit_add_bus
ivtv: Unknown symbol i2c_bit_del_bus

I don't think it's ivtv itself, as I have tried the stable (0.2.0_rc3)
as well as 0.3.6z and get the same error. I have checked and rechecked
my kernel configs for i2c and I believe everything is correct. I am
using the same config with 2.6.10 and it works fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.
--
  Matthew Daubenspeck
  http://www.oddprocess.org