[mythtv-users] What's a good mini front-end-only box?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Jul 14 22:06:07 EDT 2005

>>> amcnabb at mcnabbs.org 07/14/05 6:30 PM >>>
On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 08:56:43AM -0400, PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:

> > The good thing is you don't see it.  You select shows based on the

> > name of the show in the database.  It is a very limited frontend,
> > but if you want it for playing recorded shows, seeing what shows
> > are going to be recorded, playing mpeg2 videos (no mpeg4), and
> > experimentally watching live TV, it is a very good, very quiet
> > solution.
> >

> Can you explain a little more about the specs on the box?  Do you
> have Linux installed on it with MythTV or does it have something
else?

I have no idea of the specs of the box.
I have a mythbackend.  That machine runs dhcp, nfs and tftp.
MediaMVP boots up and grabs an ip address from the dhcp
server.  Then MediaMVP gets the boot "dongle" from the tftp server
according to the dhcp server.  Then it grabs the mfs mounts
and various other necessary items (mythbackend location, etc)
from the dhcp server.

The best thing is that if I REALLY want to run the original server
software off my windows box and show an mpeg4 video
off a samba share mounted via the windows machine, I can.
Running mvpmc off my mythbackend doesn't even need to
be stopped.  I can revert to running the Hauppauge software
with no issues.

Paul