[mythtv-users] nuvexport errors doing DVD export

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 09:29:22 EDT 2005

So, using '--transcode' the thing transcode was going to take 3
lifetimes to complete, so I took the fact that the power cut halfway
through as a sign that I should do this using the apparently much
faster ffmpeg.

So I got the latest source from ffmpeg cvs, and compiled and installed
OK.  Now running nuvexport in --ffmpeg mode, I can select XviD (w00t)
and all the options seem to be OK, accepting the defaults.  It says
its waiting for mythtranscode  and then starting ffmpeg, and after a
wee while it crashes with the nasty pipe error.

So I debugged and modified the ffmpeg forked line to remove the
yuvdenoise filter and it went through, taking about an hour to
transcode the 40 minutes DVB-T video down to 320x240 XviD which I was
happy with performance wise.  The problem is, the video is not
playable though the sound is OK both WindowsMedia and
MediaPlayerClassic both complain.  I put this down to the fact that I
possibly mistimed the starting of ffmpeg given I was doing this from
--debug mode.

I have since started the transcode using nuvexport, deselecting
denoise and deinterlace as I selected the options and now, the
transcode is going to take about 3 hours, even though it is running at
20 fps (isn't Mpeg2 only 25fps?).

So, to my question.  How can I get reasonable good and fast
transcoding?  Is ffmpeg faster?  Given I am planning on watching these
on the PocketPC only I may aswell turn of deinterlacing and noise
reduction right?  Should I leave the recording at the native
resolution and let the PDA struggle or is it right to downsize?

Any help is *greatly* apreciated.

Whytey