[mythtv-users] Q: Using MythTV as a router

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 16:36:36 EDT 2005

When you say streaming to *internet*, does it mean that you want to
stream it outside your house ?

You can run frontend remotely *outside* your home network. But you
need to open the ports on your home network router and redirect
traffic coming on these ports to your mythbox. I think myth uses port
6543 on the backend.

But mind you that depending upon your upload speed, live TV will
probably be impossible to watch. You can use mythstreamtv to transcode
your recordings down to a lower bitrate and stream on the fly. Take a
look at http://mythstreamtv.sourceforge.net/ . Thats how I watch my
shows sometimes when I'm outside my home and still want to catch up
with some shows.

Thanks
Mudit