[mythtv-users] Reliability problems when switching to view live tv

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 19:00:55 EDT 2005

I recently set up my first MythTV system (Linux-2.6.13-rc3, x86-64,
FusionHDTV card, Linux DVB interface, NVidia FX5200).  When it works,
it works great..  very impressive feature set.

But, I have probably a 20% success rate in actually viewing live TV.
Most of the time, I only get a blank screen and have to kill
mythfrontend to get out of it.   I restart the frontend and backend
processes, and try it a few more times, eventually I will get lucky
and I will get the live TV stream.  When that happens, it usually
works fine from then on, until I exit live viewing and try to go back
again..

I think the card is providing data,  as the ringbuffer file is
growing, and I can even view the video in it with vlc or mplayer.

Is this typical of other HDTV implementations?    From what I hear,
the DVB drivers for ATSC/QAM are relatively new,  could it be related
to the driver status (although, if that were the case, why would the
backend still be getting data)?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.