[mythtv-users] No output from IRW

Pete Buelow pete at putzin.net
Sun Jul 17 00:40:24 EDT 2005

Eric Jensen wrote:

>>I have a Universal Remote Control MX-500 and am trying to get it to work
>>with an Irman.  I hooked it up to a Windows box and get output just
>>fine, so the irman does support the signal from my remote.  When I run
>>lircd and then irw or irrecord I don't get any output though.  No
>>errors, but also no output.  I only have one serial device and I made
>>sure lircd was using the right one.  I tried loading lircd with
>>parameters --driver=irman --device=/dev/ttyS0, but then as soon as I run
>>irw it closes and lircd is no longer running.  I am pretty clueless when
>>it comes to this stuff, does anybody have any ideas?
>>
>>Eric
>>

>Just an update.  I changed my serial from 3F8/IRQ4 to 2F8/IRQ3 since we
>couldn't even talk to our Cisco modem.  But on 2F8/IRQ3 we can, so I
>tried the Irman again and this is the messages I get back from lircd
>when running `lircd -n -d /dev/ttyS1`
>
>could not open config file '/etc/lircd.conf'
>No such file or directory
>lircd(any) ready
>
>Now I run irw and get the following from lircd:
>
>accepted new client on /dev/lircd
>could not get hardware features
>this device driver does not support the new LIRC interface
>major number of /dev/ttyS1 is 4
>LIRC major number is 61
>check if /dev/ttyS1 is a LIRC device
>caught signal
>Terminated
>
>If I try and specify a driver with --driver=irman I get:
>
>accepted new client on /dev/lircd
>could not open /dev/ttyS1
>irman_init(): Input/output error
>caught signal
>Terminated
>
>I am running them both as root.  I've tested the port by talking to a
>Cisco modem and I've tested the device on my Windows machine, so I don't
>think I either are bad.  Any thoughts?
>
>Eric

Oooh, yeah, had this problem too. Issue was that I didn't have a conf
file installed. I was trying to get my Uni remote going, and got nothing
from irw. The trick is you have to have a lircd.conf in the lircd search
path (just dump it into /etc, that _should_ work). I just chose the
default hauppage and then programmed my Uni to understand the hauppage.
Use whatever remote actually would work with your irman (does that come
with a default remote?) and you should be all set. The Uni remotes don't
output anything that lirc understands without some coaxing.