[mythtv-users] Power failure caused some odd errors...

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sun Jul 17 14:31:41 EDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 09:45:22AM -0700, Howard Cokl wrote:
> > We'll yesterday we got hit by a big storm here in
> > Waterloo,on (canada) and
> > the power (as it often does) went out a bunch of
> > times.

> Sounds like you have a corrupt table in the database.
> Try mysqlchk -r mythconverg.

And buy yourself a UPS.  They're not that expensive, and you'll keep
your hair a bit longer.  The largest current draw is usually the CRT
(you *never* plug a laser printer into a UPS) so if your back-end is
headless or uses an LCD you'll probably double your off-grid running
time.  My fileserver/MythTV-backend is attached to a APC Back-UPS 725
ES, which gives almost an hour of running time for a 2.8GHz P4 box with
capture card, RAID-5 drives, cable modem, LinkSys router and a 9" CRT
(from a cash register).  If you get a UPS with USB status monitoring
then you can get your system to do a graceful shutdown when the
batteries are low, and some UPSs can be configured to wait for a
certain charge level before they bring the outlets back online.

Interesting off-topic point: when Seattle was hit with the large
earthquake a few years ago I was in Ontario.  The telephone lines were
gridlocked, but I was able to ssh into my box to check the UPS logs and
that alone told me everything was going to be alright.

Of course, if your cable company loses power you won't be recording
anything, but at least your Linux filesystem and SQL tables will not
get toasted.