[mythtv-users] Where can I find technical, devloper documentation for mythtv

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 08:47:27 EDT 2005

On 7/18/05, Bob Weber <rjweber at ieee.org> wrote:
> On Friday 15 July 2005 05:55 am, Donavan Stanley wrote:
> > You might try to use the tools available to you to try to help
> > yourself before bemoaing the lack of information. (like searching the
> > mailing list archives)
>
> Is there an easier way to search the archives rather than searching each
> month? There must be a better way.

When you signed up for this mailing list the text on the webpage said:
 "MythTV-users -- a place for users to discuss hardware setups,
configuration, etc. Less on-topic than mythtv-dev (hopefully). Here is
the mailing list archive for MythTV-users."...  There were two links
in that sentence.  The second link takes you to gossamer threads....

> Despite that, I really think that site should be in the web links page at
> mythtv. It is mostly installation, but I do see some useful things there, and
> that's probably where I can contribute a bit to the technical documentation
> as I learn more.

Seacrh the mailing list for "Wiki" sometime to get an idea for why it's not.

> If asking where I might find technical info, why it would be valuable, and how
> I might contribute to it, is moaning, I'm glad there's a lot of moaning on
> this site. A little orientation can help people become contributors to
> mythtv. But if you don' feel like doing that, just don't. Life goes on.

"Bemoan" is different from "moan"
bemoan: deplore; regret strongly;
groan: an utterance expressing pain or disapproval

The problem with "orientating" people is that people don't even bother
to try and help themeselves first before asking questions.  Every
single developer on this project trys to be helpful to those that have
demonstrated that they've tried to help themselves.