[mythtv-users] (NEWBIE) Linux Hardware MythTV

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 11:25:54 EDT 2005

On 7/19/05, linux at vanoverbruggen.nl <linux at vanoverbruggen.nl> wrote:
> I decided to add mythTv to my linux home server (debian). However I am
> stunned about which hardware to buy. Can anyone suggest me some hardware ?
>  - When i buy the hauppauge 350, do I need an additional video card ? ->
> which one do you suggest ?
>  - Can I record and playback dolby DTS ?

Rob,

welcome to MythTv  :)

there are several good resources available where you can find the info
you are looking for.

MythTv mail archives: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

MythTv Install Docs: http://mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall

MythTv Wiki (semi-official): http://mythtv.info/

Basics for my favorite MythDistro, KnoppMyth: http://mysettopbox.tv/basics.html

KnoppMyth Forum: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/

just search for recommended hardware or hardware recommendations in
some of these places and you'll find all sorts of setups.  this is a
pretty common question.  :)

with the PVR-350 you do not need an additional video card to watch
MythTv 'if' you are able to get the 350 configured to output
correctly.  i've heard that this can be a bit challenging and several
ppl with the 350 opt to use a video card anyway.  however, there are
many others that were able to get this setup working to their
satisfaction.  YMMV.
i would recommend going with the slightly cheaper PVR-250 and an
nVidia video card with tv video out.  or a motherboard that has built
in tv video out.
if you're comfortable with Linux and compiling your own software you
could look into the PVR-150 or PVR-500.  the 150 is currently the
cheapest Hauppauge PVR-XXX capture card on the market and the 500 is
basically a dual tuner 150.  both are 'semi' supported right now.  i
was able to get a 500 working alongside my 250 fairly quickly and i'm
no guru. :)  but again, YMMV.
i'm not sure about recording DTS.  i don't know if there are Linux
drivers or whatever that work with recording DTS yet.  you can play
back DTS from DVD's if you have a sound card that supports it or has
the SPDIF pass through option.  then your stereo receiver can do the
sound processing.  i have not had the chance to play with this yet as
my sound card doesn't support SPDIF pass-through.  the archives may
answer that question for you.

are you planning on slapping a capture card into an existing computer
to be used as your MythBox?  or are you planning to build a new system
from scratch?  what are your goals for your MythBox?  will you be
recording standard video (cable, over the air signal)?  or are you
planning on recording HDTV?  is this machine going to be a media hub
serving tv, videos, music?  or just a PVR?  is it going to sit in your
living room next to your tv?  or are you going to be able to keep it
in a closet?
think about these questions before you start to build because they
affect what hardware you'll want to consider.

hopefully this helps.  otherwise, please search through the above
links for more detail.  and feel free to post back to the list (but
try to do your homework first ;)

andy