[mythtv-users] MythShyte: One unhappy customer

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 16:11:04 EDT 2005

--- antec <antec30 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am atill getting prebuffer pause even though I have done everything
> recommended in the documentation pages:
>
> * bought and installed a geforce card
> * got xwindows working with nvidia
> * upgraded machine to a P3-1Ghz. (not a celeron!)
> * checked and reconfigured all of the TV settings under mythtv.
>
> Mythtv on my system was build using fc3 and atrpms. So I compiled
> nothing.
>
> Am I missing something crucial here, or is this just a case of sloppy
> code. This project has cost me time and money to get a result that is
> no better than "myth-shyte". After all, why would I now go and buy a
> p4-3.3 to watch tv, when I can just plug in my P1 and do the same
> thing (without buffering naturally).
>
> Unless Im blind in both eyes and delusional, I think the next step is
> to return to freevo aka bugvo and give mythtv the myth-skip.>

I see a big misconception here.  No one on this list considers you a
"customer".  No one is trying to "sell" you on MythTv vs. Freevo or any
other PVR distro.

If you WANT MythTv to work, you have take a little responsibility for
learning enough to make that happen.  You did not say what card you are
using to acquire the TV program.  Are you using a PVR-type card that
does the MPEG encoding in hardware?  Or are you using a software-based
card that puts the load on your processor?  Did you get the accelerated
nvidia driver properly installed and configured?  Are there any other
reports of success or failure with your processor?

If you expect more of a "works out-of-the-box" experience, take a look
at KnoppMyth.  It is a distro aimed at making the setup of a Myth box
as easy as possible.  See http://mysettopbox.tv.

But when you use the forum there, do not, I repeat, DO NOT come across
like your message here.  I can understand total frustration, having
experienced some myself.  But the attitude you express is not conducive
to getting the help you need.