[mythtv-users] IP TV support on the agenda?

Micael Beronius micael.beronius at telia.com
Wed Jul 20 08:41:24 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 20 July 2005 13.11, Marius Schrecker wrote:
> Is this something that the individual ISP's are providing or are the
> streaming services freely available? I've not yet been able to track down
> much IPTV of interest.

Basically, they are trying to be your complete supplier of broadband, tv and
telephone using their infrastructure.

Normally you pay for a bunch of channels, you get a box (similar to a
cable/DVB box) and then get access to them. The channels are not encrypted,
but they will only work on the IP addresses the ISP has allocated for you on
their local net.

With something like VLC etc, you can watch the multicast streams on the
computer, so it is standard protocols.

 - Micael