[mythtv-users] mythweather scheduling

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 21 12:13:27 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:35:42AM -0400, Pat Vaughan wrote:
> I'm setting up my first myth box, and am struggling with a few
> issues. One is that I have a dial-up connection because there isn't
> any available broadband in my area.  And, mythweather isn't real
> dial-up friendly.  It pretty often fails to get updates and
> especially retrieve the radar images.

I suspect the flakiness is more related to server availability than it
is with mythweather. I have broadband and still often have problems
getting weather data.

I would prefer if mythweather made it easier to "abort" a slow
in-progress download of weather data. Currently, AFAICT, you have to
wait for it to pop up the dialog asking whether or not you want to try
again with an increased timeout.

> Is there any way to tune mythweather better for dial-up, maybe make
> the timeouts longer.  And, even better, is there any way to schedule
> it to retrieve the data from cron?

If everyone crons mythweather just so it's handy for the few times
they actually look at the data, then the mythweather server (whatever
it is) will just be overloaded for no good reason.

--Rob