[mythtv-users] Ready for use?

Josh Burks dotnofoolin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:20:37 EDT 2005

On 7/21/05, Chris Lopeman <lopemanc at swbell.net> wrote:
>  Hi All,
>
>  I have been monitoring this mail list for a while now.  And mythTV looks
> very interesting.  And I know it is not released yet.  And to be clear I and
> not trying to be insulting or start a fight.  But...

It's released, just not 1.0 yet :)

(<rant>WTF is up with people not using software unless it's at least
version 1.0, sounds very CEO-ish to me...</rant>)

>  I am about to start dishing out money for hardware to use with mythTV.
> Hardware that could probably be used for nothing or little else.  This
> coupled with the high activity of people having problems on the mailing
> list, leads to a question.

First of all, the only "special hardware" you need to record tv with
Mythtv is a capture card. Everything else is a standard
run-of-the-mill computer. If you want to hook it up to a tv, then
you'll need a video card with some sort of TV out (RCA, Svideo,
Component, DVI, etc) which you'll probably buy anyway when you build
the computer.

If you can't get Myth working (which is doubtful), you can always make
a file server, or email server, or music server, or Asterisk box, or
firewall, or even a Windows box.

>  Is anybody successfully using mythTV on a regular basis?  I just don't want
> to put something together that is going to have problems with basic
> functionality every other day.  Or is gonna work but look like crap on my
> TV.

Uptime of 63+ days before my last reboot. I only rebooted to add my
wireless keyboard. I record on average 2 shows a day, and playback at
least one a day.

Video quality is dang near the same as live tv without going through
my Myth box.

HTH,

Josh