[mythtv-users] Ready for use?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jul 21 17:36:28 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 03:57:53PM -0500, Chris Lopeman wrote:
>    Is anybody successfully using mythTV on a regular basis?  I just don't
>    want  to  put  something  together that is going to have problems with
>    basic  functionality  every other day.  Or is gonna work but look like
>    crap on my TV.

Sure, there are lots of people.

If you're buying everything from scratch, and you take advice from the
right people, you stand a *much* better chance of ending up with an
appliance.

Is a little Linux background helpful?  Sure.

Will everything go perfectly?  Probably not.

Does everything go perfectly with a TiVo?  Probably not, either.

Is the extra functionality worth the time?  Lots of people think so,
including my sister, who, while she's pretty sharp, really mostly wants
it to be an appliance as well.

Is this sort of question-talking annoying?  You bet.  :-)

Stick with hardware-MPEG cards like the PVR-250, pick the right
VGA/NTSC-out card and distribution, and avoid the pinch-y chipsets on
motherboards, and you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Cheers,
-- jra

      "...the rough cannot be mean and the love cannot be true, and that's
      as wise as I can get at 10 o'clock in the morning."
      	-- Bill Shatner, on being an anti-hero.