[mythtv-users] Re: Myth Plus ?

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 10:40:07 EDT 2005

On 7/21/05, Donavan Stanley <geckofiend at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/21/05, Geoff Scott <geoff.scott.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/21/05, Donavan Stanley <geckofiend at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Say I subscribe, and living in the US, the only reason I would is for
> > the "voting" ability since I'm fine with the themes out there now
> > (thanks Myxer!) and get the same program info for free.  Anyway,
> > what's to say the things I want to get funded... get funded?  How does
> > the list that we vote on get populated?  Does LxM Suite decide on the
> > ideas proposed and generate a short list?  How much of my money goes
> > into the "pay for dev" program?  Surely it's not 100%, since LxM Suite
> > is not a charity.
>
> There's a rundown of the planned system on their site.  Basicly the
> way it works is that each month subscribers get an allotment of bounty
> points that they can use to vote on features (either for or against).
> The features with the most points will have a bounty assigned to them
> based on their number of points.  The list of features available for
> votes comes from subscriber suggestions, with the only limitation
> being that it can't involve copyright / law violations.

I have not yet subscribed. I'm not yet sure if I will. I am seeing
arguments both for and against it. However, while I've been hearing
about it for a while, I've yet to see a post stating 'First Bounty
Sponsored Upgrade Available!' or something similar. If people are
subscribing, I assume that they are using their voting points. What
aspects of development are currently being worked on due to bounty
points being assigned, and when will these be completed.

I imagine that myself and others might be inclined to join up, if we
actually saw some concrete benefits.

> > I can't see paying for themes, there's so many out there.
>
> heh as an an author of a few of those themes I can say with some
> confidence that the themes these guys are putting out are well beyond
> anything that we've seen to date.  There's just no way for us
> non-artists to compete with the quality they can acheive with artists
> and designers working on the themes.  Heck I've spent countless hours
> working on the new art for Minimalist and it still looks like a dog
> turd next to treetogs work.

I don't believe that nicer themes would constitute the 'concrete
benefits' that I spoke of previously. Personally, I prefer function
over fashion. I will happily navigate dog turds for a few minutes a
day in order to spend a few hours watching programming that I enjoy on
my own timetable.

Hmmm... A dog turd theme... That might be perfect for those folks
recording South Park and old Ren & Stimpy episodes. Maybe I'll develop
a theme based on that idea.

--Garry