[mythtv-users] pcHDTV 3000: Questions from a MythTV newbie

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri Jul 22 10:55:10 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 08:55 -0400, Donavan Stanley wrote:

> > As of now I've decided to get a PVR-150 card so that I can get decoding
> > done in hardware.
>
> The PVR-150 is a hardware encoder not decoder.

This is probably just my own ignorance with the terminology (again). I'm
not using TV out on my backend machine with the capture card. I just
want the process of extracting the signal from the wire and storing it
as MPEG2 to be done in hardware; i.e. the recording process. I don't
care about the display (this particular machine already has an NVidia
Radeon 9800 card with TV out, so if I ever do connect it to a real TV,
I'll use that connection). Is that the encoding or the decoding? Does
the PVR-150 do the recording part in hardware or not? If not, I have the
wrong card. I'm just worried about the backend machine now, which I
would like to also be able to use for other purposes which is why I want
hardware recording. There have been good threads recently on how to
choose frontend system hardware, but I need to make sure my backend
system is really going to work properly before I lay out the money for
the frontend.

--Greg