[mythtv-users] programming universal remote (OFA Kameleon)?

Dylan Keon dbkeon.ml at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 02:36:17 EDT 2005

On 07/24/2005 07:41 PM Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote the following:
> Dylan Keon wrote:
>
>> I have a One For All Kameleon URC 9960.  The innards should be similar
>> to the Radio Shack 15-2116 described on Jarod's Universal Remote page
>> (http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotes.php).
>>
>> I am trying to use Jarod's guide to get the remote working with my
>> system, but I am stuck at the step of entering the EFC codes.  Is
>> there a trick I can use to enter the EFC codes directly on this
>> remote?  Or will I need to get a cable and go the JP1 route?  I
>> realize I can use the remote without doing the EFC stuff, but it would
>> be nice to enable the PIP buttons, etc.
>

> Did you try these instructions?
>
> http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/advanced.shtml

Hadn't seen that, thanks.  And thanks to Joe for his site, too
(http://www.vulturesnest.net/mythtvremote.html) - lots of good info there.

Even with all that help I couldn't get it working, but after fooling
around for a while I discovered I had to prepend the 3-digit EFC codes
with '00'.  Plus, there are a couple of extra steps involved with
programming the URC-9960.  Here's what I had to do, in case anyone else
comes across this problem:

0) Follow the directions on Jarod's site
(http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotes.php) to assign the PVR device key to
emulate a VCR device and use VCR code 0081.  Also, use the lircrc and
lircd.conf files from Jarod's site.  Be sure to restart the lircd
service and mythfrontend after setting up those files.
1) Press and hold "Setup" until the top LED bars flash twice and you
enter Setup mode
2) Press "Other"
3) Enter "994"
4) Press the device key you're programming (in my case, "PVR") - this
will bring up the keypad controls
5) Press "Setup" quickly (just once - don't hold it)
6) Enter the 5-digit code (prepend the 3-digit EFC code with '00' - for
EFC code 110 you would enter 00110)
7) Press "Scroll" if necessary to toggle the screen to display the key
you plan to assign
8) Press the key you want to assign (e.g., code 00110 = right arrow key)
9) You will see the top LED bars flash twice if successful
10) Repeat steps 2-8 to assign other keys, or press "Home" to exit

This remote is very cool but there are a few quirks that I can't get
around, such as having the PVR device operate in VCR mode, which means
the "arrow" keys and the "transport" keys are not visible at the same
time.  You have to press "Scroll" to toggle between them.  I'm also
unable to get the global volume lock to apply to the PVR device when
it's emulating a VCR device.  And the PIP button is not visible when
emulating a VCR device.

I bought it used so at least I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it.  I
think I'll try to find one of the RS 15-2116 remotes instead, or maybe
get an OFA URC-8910.

Thanks again for the help.

--Dylan