[mythtv-users] USB Soundcard with SPIDF digital pass through?

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Mon Jul 25 17:50:25 EDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:43:05 +0100, Scott White wrote:
> Does anybody know of a USB soundcard for Linux that will allow one to
> watch movies with Dolby Digital passed digitally to a surround sound
> amplifier?  (Happy to jump through any hoops).  I believe they call this
> "digital pass through"

I have one of these:
Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External Sound Card

This is the exact one, here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009AHV8U/ref=pd_sr_ec_ir_ce/202-9112771-6976659

It's a USB sound card with a free remote control (quite nice and very
small, shirt pocket sized - I use it with a serial receiver).

I have it plugged into a Cyrus AV8 via the optical out. It works
perfectly, out of the box with no effort as well. I get stereo and
Dolby Digital through it from MythTV and stereo from mpd.

I've even modified MythTV to pass DTS through it, a patch I'll tidy up and
submit next month.

My system is FC3, myth 18.1, and I set the audio output device to
'ALSA:hw:1'. Also tick the box for AC3 output. No .asoundrc file (or
whatever it's called) needed. I use the 'Internal' player for mythvideo.

Cheers,

Martin.