[mythtv-users] Trouble Playing Ripped DVDs

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Tue Jul 26 03:02:50 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 23:10 -0700, Michael Privett wrote:
> When you say "movie setup page", are you referring to
> the "Default Player" field arrived at by traversing
> through "Videos Settings->Player Settings"?  I can
> change this to ogle (or xine), but the result is still
> the same for me.
>
> I'm going thru the following menu sequence to try and
> play the movie:
> Media Library->Watch Videos
>
> Now I see my movies (I have it in list view).  I was
> expecting I could highlight my movie and then hit
> "enter" to fire up the player (be it ogle, xine,
> mplayer, etc), but nothing happens.  I have to then
> traverse the VIDEO_TS dir and can only get the player
> to start if I select a specific VOB.  This doesn't
> make a lot of sense to me.
>
> Is there another myth module I should be using for
> this?

OK yes of course I see what you mean.

A DVD consists of a number of directories and files. If you rip it
intact (as the directories and files) you get a tree structure same as
on the original DVD.

The problem here is that mythvideo "flattens" all the directories inside
its base directory, so it looks like you have a whole swag of VOB and
BUF etc files. It is a bit annoying.

However a recent thread alerted me to the fact that you can make an iso
of the DVD and then use xine to play the iso. This would mean you are
dealing with one file only.

Thats what i recommend doing.

Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>