[mythtv-users] pvr-250, distortion on 1 channel

Mark Staudinger mark at mark.staudinger.net
Wed Jul 27 11:08:52 EDT 2005

I have one channel that consistently gives me distortion.  I
record "Smallville" on ABC Family.  Without fail, very bright areas with
defined edges have many small black horizontal lines.  These lines are
relatively short, and they seem to swarm or flicker around the affected area.

I've tried decreasing both the brightness and color saturation in the
settings for this channel, but the overall picture suffers while the
artifacts seem to persist.

I've included two short clips (1.3M and ~720K) in case anyone can identify
possible causes.

http://mark.staudinger.net/~mark/mythtv/abcfamclip1.avi

http://mark.staudinger.net/~mark/mythtv/abcfamclip2.avi

I'm capturing at a resolution of 592x432 with DVD-Special 2 @ 5000/7500
bitrate.  I have cropped the recording to 576x432 and a lower bitrate for the
clips.

I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Thanks....

-=Mark