[mythtv-users] HDD Temp

Eric Gilbert eric.gilbert at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 12:20:51 EDT 2005

On 7/25/05, chris at cpr.homelinux.net <chris at cpr.homelinux.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:58:22PM -0700, Eric Gilbert wrote:
> > right now from hddtemp I get
> > /dev/hda: ST340014A: 39 C
> > /dev/hdb: ST3400832A: 40 C
> > and yesterday during the hottest part of the day I was getting
> > /dev/hda: ST340014A: 45 C
> > /dev/hdb: ST3400832A: 47 C
>
> I am using a 3-drive bracket that has a single cooling fan and slides
> into a full-height 5.25" bay.  It has a WD1600 on the bottom, and two
> Maxtor 6Y160P0 drives in the middle and top positions.  The three drives
> aren't touching each other, but you wouldn't be able to slide a floppy
> disk between them.  The temps are 37, 36 and 35 Celsius from bottom to
> top.  The box runs 24/7 and the drives are doing RAID-5.

Does anyone have experience with either of these HDD Coolers?
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/blaculhardri.html
http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/cooling/misc/misc/ult30130/

I was thinking of moving my video storage up into a 5.25" bay to
distance it from the system drive and use the the intake fans to
increase positve case pressure.

For my system drive I still want to keep it as low as possible in the
case so I was looking at adding this HDD Cooler that attaches to the
underside to help with internal circulation.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric