[mythtv-users] [OT] UPS's and 24x7 MythBoxen...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 15:23:10 EDT 2005

On 7/27/05, Michael Carland <mcarland at bitsgonewild.net> wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2005, at 11:18 AM, Andrew Close wrote:
>

> > i currently have one MythBox up and running in our home production
> > environment. :)  now that the new season of SG-1, Atlantis &
> > Battlestar Galactica has started i freak out whenever there is a blip
> > in the power at our house.  in the past week our neighborhood has lost
> > power at least four times <shakes-fist> damn you Com-Ed </shakes-fist>
> > and i've had to go downstairs and restart the MythBox and check the
> > partitions.  so far this hasn't happened in the middle of a recording
> > or caused a loss of data or any type of corruption.
>
> I see you have already had some good responses from the UPS side, so
> I'll just add my nod to the APC products on that front.
>
> My suggestion to you would be in addition to adding UPS, clean up your
> system so it does not require user intervention when it is restarted. I
> had been having spontaneous reboots on my myth backend, which was a
> huge bummer, but it only took the machine about a minute to fully
> reboot, and when myth restarted, it continued recording.
>
> I am using ext3 on my system disks, and JFS on my video storage disks,
> and they have so far (knock on wood) always managed to straighten
> themselves out on their own very quickly after an unclean reboot.

thanks for the tip Michael.  i'm using ext3 on system partitions and
XFS on all others so i 'should' be safe (as safe as can be).  but
since i haven't had to deal with system shutdowns on a system i
'cared' about in the past i wanted to be sure and double check the
partitions for any damage.  so far things have started up clean with
no problems.  i think most of the mature journaling filesystems are
probably pretty good in this respect.

andy