[mythtv-users] HDD Temp

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Wed Jul 27 16:09:54 EDT 2005

I'm a big fan of heat sinks vs. fans.  I use fans and cut holes to make
air flow in the case.  To cool components I like to get stock aluminum
and scroll saw it in to dozens of pieces, bonding then together with
thermal adhesive.  Fill up every free inch of your case with this
aluminum and get some air flowing.  Things will get cool, but your case
will weight a lot.  Better than being noisy!

Eric Gilbert wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Awhile ago I asked about temperature and the pcHD3000 and after some
>research I decided to go with a larger case to help with airflow and
>allow for more cooling options.  I've got it stuck in a closet so it
>doesn't have to be dead silent but I don't want to go the water
>cooling route since this needs to be self contained for WAF.
>
>Right now I've got the following hardware for my backend in addition
>to a pcHD3000:
>Morex Venus 668
>http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=30
>
>Commell LV-667T
>http://resonanceone.com/nucleus/Core.php?itemid=18
>
>/dev/hda is Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 40GB (system)
>/dev/hdb is Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 400gb (video storage)
>
>I've got the system drive in the lowest drive holder that is
>positioned sideways and the video storage in the 3.5 bay with nothing
>in the 5.25 drive bays.
>
>right now from hddtemp I get
>/dev/hda: ST340014A: 39 C
>/dev/hdb: ST3400832A: 40 C
>
>and yesterday during the hottest part of the day I was getting
>/dev/hda: ST340014A: 45 C
>/dev/hdb: ST3400832A: 47 C
>
>Are these temperatures normal? In my desktop my drives almost never go
>above 35 C with no special drive cooling (2x250GB Sata 2x120GB Pata
>and 5GB clunker).
>
>Thanks,
>Eric

Thank you for your time,
--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

*Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet
products. Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer &
Outlook/Outlook Express.*
Get Firefox! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=85> Get
Thunderbird! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=179>