[mythtv-users] [OT] UPS's and 24x7 MythBoxen...

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 22:19:30 EDT 2005

> The software that you want to google for is "apcupsd".  It's better
> than the official APC software in my opinion.

I obviously know nothing about UPS's, so my question is why is
software required at all? I thought how a UPS worked was that it
monitored the power supply itself and if it detected a drop it would
kick in power from its batteries, and that this would all be semaless
to the PC that was plugged into it. The PC would never know there'd
been a power cut unless the UPS batteries ran out. So why does the PC
need any software?

Regards,
Phill