[mythtv-users] Automatic startup

Michael Carland mcarland at bitsgonewild.net
Wed Jul 27 23:51:16 EDT 2005

On Jul 27, 2005, at 7:39 PM, Bruce Pennypacker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a FC3 box running myth 0.81 on KDE.  I'm now trying to get it
> to start up automatically on bootup but I'm only having partial luck.
> I used the init scripts from contrib to start up mythbackend during
> bootup and that works fine.  I've tried following the directions on
> Jarod Wilsons site to get FC3 to automatically log in as mythtv and
> run mythfrontend but that's where I'm having trouble.  I ran gdmsetup
> and specified that it should automatically log in as mythtv but that
> didn't work.  Rebooting still leaves me at the login screen. Running
> gdmsetup a second time shows that it did remember my settings.  I've
> also tried going into the KDE control center and setting both the
> option to log in automatically and the option to log in as a specific
> user after a specified period of time has passed but neither of them
> work either. Has anybody gotten this successfully working on FC3 with
> KDE?

If you don't really want to run KDE (if your only using your frontend
for Myth, you don't need it), there is a solution posted a couple of
places that has worked very well for me. You edit your /etc/inittab
file to spawn startx. It even restarts it when X exits. I use the
following line:

2:345:respawn:/usr/bin/openvt -fwc 2 -- /bin/su - mythtv -c
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx

The options to openvt are a little different than what were posted, I
had to mess around with them since the options seem to have changed
between openvt versions. This replaces the old line in inittab for
tty2. It basically opens a virtual terminal on tty2, and as the mythtv
user, calls startx. My mythtv user has a .xinitrc file that starts a
window manager in the background, and then starts mythfrontend. When
myth exits (or dies), X stops, the init process notices, and starts it
up again. If I don't want mythfrontend to run, I can switch to runlevel
2.

-Michael