[mythtv-users] xine and mythtv

Sim simon.hampton at freebel.net
Fri Jul 29 12:57:40 EDT 2005

On Friday 29 July 2005 07:47, Joe Votour wrote:
> Are you using the new Xv driver for ivtv?
>
> If not, then the problem is that the CPU is doing all
> of the decoding and scaling, and thus, frame drops are
> expected.  Xv, which is common on most video cards,
> and in experimental state for the PVR-350 offloads the
> scaling to the video card, which reduces CPU load, and
> helps prevent the dropped frames.
>
> (Note: I used to use a PVR-350 for video output, but
> now use a GeForce 5200FX.  Once the Xv driver for ivtv
> matures a bit, I might give it a shot).

Perhaps what i have been asking for ages about jerky pictures is what is being
called dropped frames here.  I've been thinking it might be an encoding issue
and that I needed a hardware encoder even though I have a celeron 2ghz.  But
now I realise that I get dropped frames (a tiny pause of much less than a
second every 10 - 15 seconds).  I'm also seeing 50% CPU usage.

I'm trying to out put through an nvidia 5200 (from XFX and with not-working
video-in).  I have not the faintest idea whether i am using the xv or xvmc
or ... driver because I don't know how to check. But I am using a basic
Mandrake 10.2 system albeit with a multimedia kernel (which enables real time
threads and has helped a little but not enough) and pre-compiled mythtv from
thac.

What should I check and change in the kernel (hopefully nothing), mythtv (no
problem to recompile if i know the flags), the nvidia (or nv) drivers, xine,
mplayer,....

Sim