[mythtv-users] NEWbie, trying this for the first time

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 15:05:34 EDT 2005

On 7/29/05, travis highley <travis at wannarumble.com> wrote:
> I just joined this list, as I very recently discovered MythTV. I have
> never built a computer my self. My experience is limited to upgrades
> (new hard drive here, more ram there), very basic. I would like to try
> to build one of these and I hope this is the right channel to get some
> advice. Here is what I have put together on newegg.com, based on the
> research I have so far:
>
> REFURBISHED: Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 PCI Interface Video Recorder, TV/FM
> Tuner Card - OEM
> Model #:  990 $127.00

I second the motion for a PVR 250.  Better yet, get two of them.

> pqi POWER Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered
> System Memory Model MD4412UOE - Retail
> Model #:  MD4412UOE $40.25

It's enough, but 1 GB would be better.

> Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JD 200GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
> Drive - OEM
> Model #:  WD2000JD $98.00

Again enough, but I'd go with two 250GB drives - best $/byte.

> nMEDIAPC HTPC 100 B775 Socket T(LGA775) Intel Pentium 4/Celeron INTEL
> 915G Computer Case - Retail
> Model #:  HTPC 100 B775 $265.00

I wasn't able to see exactly what this item is - if it's a
case/motherboard combo, then it has too few PCI
slots.

In summary, get lots of memory, lots of disk storage,
lots of PCI slots.  You will soon find that you are having
so much fun building your first computer, that you will
wish for more space to record programs, more tuners to
record programs on at the same time, and more PCI slots
to add HDTV tuners.

--
MM