[mythtv-users] Myth box questions

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 22:48:41 EDT 2005

> I'm currently thinking about what I want to put in my box but I have one
> question.  I want the box to be headless, and so I can use and operate it
> all remotely.  I saw that you can bring up the program listings via a web
> browser but that's half of what I want.  Is there a way that I can view
> recordings and live TV remotely too, like in a VideoLAN window?  My idea for
> how to get this to work is to specify a starting port (any convenient port)
> on the box to play video on, ports at that number or the next available
> sequential port can be used.  When I want to watch a movie or live TV, I can
> go to the web browser where it has live TV listings or a list of recordings,
> click play on what I want and it streams the video over the first available
> port.  A bigger feature of this is that it lets some people play different
> things (by mixing live TV or recordings) simultaneously.  Perhaps John can
> watch TV on tuner 1, a recording can be occuring on tuner 2 with the option
> of someone watching the recording as it happens, Billy can watch a different
> recorded show, etc...  Maybe other ports play other things like a port to
> display weather or to display information from installed modules.  As for
> playing, you can also have the option of delaying a playback of a recording
> for a couple minutes for some reason, maybe you can display a "this show
> will start in 1 minute, 37 seconds." to indicate the show is about to begin,
> maybe the latest news headlines or whatever.

You can have it headless. There's an add-on called mythstreamtv which
is supposed to let you stream a recording by selecting it in MythWeb.
I've tried it and can't get it to work for love nor money, but I know
lots of others have succeeded.

Don't know it you can watch live tv this way.

Regards,
Phill