[mythtv-users] Re: Compiling with GCC4

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Jul 31 07:17:38 EDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 10:41:15AM +0100, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> I've just upgraded one of my frontend/backend machines to the beta version of
> Mandriva 2006. Perhaps stupidly I didn't notice that it is based around GCC4.
> I'm now having trouble compiling MythTV.
>
> At first I thought my problem was just with the very SVN version of Myth. So I
> reverted to one dating from about midday on 20 July, when I last successfully
> compiled on this machine using GCC3.4. It still fails to compile though.
>
> Is anyone successfully compiling recent revisions of MythTV with GCC4?

Use the stable svn branch, there are some gcc4 fixes in there.

> What about GCC4 on an X86_64 machine?

That's twice the trouble. Couldn't get mythplugins running on FC4, but
it wasn't gcc4, it was a 32 vs 64 bit issue.

> Are GCC4 compile problems considered bugs with MythTV or  with GCC4?
>
> P.S. I'm not looking to downgrade - That would mean recompiling the kernel and
> a dozen other apps - it isn't worthwhile.

Mandriva will have some gcc 3.x compatibility package. I would start
with this one for building mythtv. Also do you want to check out the
src.rpm at ATrpms and try to build from there?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net