[mythtv-users] Invisible Myth Box

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jul 31 18:40:39 EDT 2005

Marty Ravell wrote:

> This might be slightly OT but I was wondering if anyone could direct
> me to a utility to monitor the temp of my CPU?
>
> In an effort to obtain high WAF I have relocated my amps, the cable
> box and a new (almost installed) MythTV box to a purpose built plywood
> cabinet that now lives in the crawl space under my house. It is maybe
> a little less convenient in some ways but I figure once the Myth box
> is completely setup there isn’t much need to get at the thing
> physically. To get the IR to work (cable box as well as PVR-350) I
> built an Infra-red Extender kit (Jaycar KC-5209) and put the receiver
> in a standard wall plate on the skirting board.
>
> Kinda cool really (if I do say so myself), the idea is that the only
> things you see in the living room are the TV and the speakers.

Agreed. I have the same thing, but with the Myth box in another room
(drilled through the wall behind my TV/speakers). Much cleaner than any
"low-profile" case--especially since I don't have my 2 Dish receivers,
my A/V receiver, my VCR, my collection of UPS's showing, or the 3-4
miles of cables, either. :)

> I’ve vented the box and am about to install some fans but would like
> to get an idea of how hot the Myth box is running. I can VNC in to run
> this tool of course. No need to have something pretty integrated into
> the UI.
>
> Any ideas?

lmsensors : http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/

Mike