[mythtv-users] ALSA Sound and Video Modes

Brandon Rogers blrogers at ieee.org
Sun Jul 31 20:15:37 EDT 2005

Thanks everyone who replied on this and helped out.  The sound is still not
working, but holding my finger next to the optical out on the back of the
card shows light, so I suppose that it is working from the point of view of
my computer, anyway.  My surround sound receiver isn't recognizing the
signal unfortunately.  I guess the only three possible problems is that the
sound is being encoded in a way that the receiver doesn't understand, the
light isn't actually carrying any sound and I still have a configuration
problem, or the receiver has a broken optical in (which has never been used
before, so who knows...).  I think (hope) it is probably the second or first
one, but I'll keep playing with it.  If you have ANY suggestions, I'm
pleased to receive them.

Also, at first, I thought the clarity of the 1080i (540p in some cases) is
actually better than the NTSC output.  However, after playing with things,
I'm not sure this is the case.  Most of the clarity seems to come from
simply having such a low resolution (the text is huge).  Sure, there is
*some* clarity enhancements, but seeing as the resolution is so low, I
wonder if it is really worth it.  I can crank my resolution up, modulate it
to NTSC, and I get more screen real estate, the picture quality (for an
average video user) are very close (admittedly, the 1080i/540p is better),
but by how much and is it really worth it?  What does everyone think?

Thanks,
Brandon

PS. I am piping the video to an HDTV over DVI->HDMI.