[mythtv-users] Key modifiers in lircrc

Ben Giddings bg-mythtv at infofiend.com
Wed Jun 1 03:34:10 UTC 2005

On May 27, 2005, at 19:46, Michael Carland wrote:
> On May 27, 2005, at 11:19 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Wow.  52 buttons on my remote times 5 or 10 program names (plus
>> xine, MPlayer, and xmms) = one very big LIRC config file. :)
>
> True, the config file could get huge, but it least it would be
> clear what you were intending. I really like Ben's idea. Much
> better than the current remote key overload.

It seems to me you could probably do something where you set up the
global key bindings for the "mythtv" program in the lircrc file, then
when you need to override the defaults you use a specialty program,
like "mythmusic" or maybe a more namespace-like "mythtv:mythmusic".
That way you wouldn't need to repeat things that exist in a lot of
different contexts (fast-forward).

It's not an easy problem to solve, and it could be that MythTV or
LIRC aren't flexible enough to do what I'm proposing, but I think it
is the approach that offers the most options.

Ben