[mythtv-users] How do I removed existing mysql database and start over?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Jun 1 21:26:56 UTC 2005

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>> First of all, this is myTHTV.org, If you want authoratative
>>> info for mysql, you would be best served by mySQL.org...
>>

>> As it turns out yes, but since I wanted to fix MythTV I hope you'll
>> forgive my coming here.
>

> for shame!  no one else ever goes off-topic on this list ;)

Well, you never gave him a correct answer and appearantly still
don't know. How long should he continue wasting his time here
when the authoratative info can be found in seconds at mysql.org?

>> OK, clearly this is why the frontend wasn't connecting. What I'm not
>> understanding out of this whole ordeal is why, when the frontend was
>> configured to connect to 192.168.1.2, which is within the IP wildcard
>> match, did mythtv convert this to gandalf and make life hard on
>> itself? (and me!) ;-) The only place Gandalf is mentioned, AFAIK, is
>> in /etc/hosts. It's not in Myth's configuration anywhere.
>

> i'm not sure about this, either ... it was my first assumption, but
> testing on my particular network showed that it worked with 192.168.0.%
> when i didn't have an entry where Host = 'kryten%' (the hostname of my
> remote frontend is kryten.slacknet.local) ... and without an entry where
> Host = 'smeg%' (the hostname of my backend is smeg.slacknet.local) ...

Then "kryten" would not be a local connection and 'smeg%' != 'smeg'
as a match for a specific hostname.

If there is not an entry for the string used as the hostname in
a Unix scoket connection, access will be denied.

mysql> delete from user where User='mythtv' and Host='moktoo';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> flush privileges;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> SELECT Host,User,Password FROM user where user = 'mythtv';
+-------------+--------+------------------+
| Host        | User   | Password         |
+-------------+--------+------------------+
| 192.168.0.% | mythtv | 0476fc026afffe24 |
| localhost   | mythtv | 0476fc026afffe24 |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

: bjm at moktoo ; mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -hmoktoo mythconverg
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'mythtv at moktoo' (Using password: YES)
: bjm at moktoo ; mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -h192.168.0.33 mythconverg
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'mythtv at moktoo' (Using password: YES)
: bjm at moktoo ; mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -hlocalhost mythconverg
mysql>

--  bjm