[mythtv-users] XvMC works in xine, but not Myth

Ray Lischner linux at tempest-sw.com
Thu Jun 2 03:55:53 UTC 2005

I've been putting together my first Myth box. I intend it to be purely a
backend, but until I am ready to build a WAF-ready frontend, I am using
it as a frontend for testing purposes. To that end, I bought an nVidia
FX5200 card (Asus). Thus, the specs are: Athlon XP 2000+, 256MB RAM,
Asus A7V8X-X mainboard, nVidia FX 5200, and two HD-3000 cards, running
Suse 9.3 (with pcHDTV 2.0 DVB drivers, xine-lib 1.0.1 instead of the
crippled Suse version, latest nVidia drivers & XvMC, XvMCW 0.9.3, and
Myth 0.18.1).

I can record shows, and use xine to playback the individual .nuv files.
So I know playback works, and XvMC works. (Otherwise, an XP 2000 would
not be able to playback 720i smoothly.)

But when I try to use Myth for playback, the frontend complains:

Using XvMC version: 1.0
XvMC found and using IDCT surface
2005-06-01 23:04:52.715 Using XV port 177
Direct Rendering is not avilable on this system!
Unable to create XvMC Context return status:11 BadAlloc

Any ideas or suggestions?
--
Ray Lischner, author of C++ in a Nutshell
http://www.tempest-sw.com/cpp