[mythtv-users] installing ivtv

Ben Holt beanjammin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 21:22:27 UTC 2005

On 6/1/05, Torsten Schenkel <schenkel at isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 01.06.2005, 16:43 -0700 schrieb Ben Holt:
> > Since he's using an old kernel he'll probably need to upgrade it at
> > the same time since the headers for 2.6.7 are probably no longer
> > available:
> >
> > apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-686-smp kernel-headers-2.6-686-smp
>
> Should work, sometime in the past this was not working (at least not for
> kernels > 2.4 in unstable), so I devised the workaround.
>
> It still doesn't work, the configuration of the kernel image and the
> kernel headers don't match:

I've never had a problem compiling ivtv or nvidia modules with just
the kernel headers from unstable.

> > As for getting lirc to work, why not use the precompiled debian package?
>
> There is none, recommended procedure for lirc is therefore (I forgot in
> the last mail):

Actually there are:

apt-get install liblircclient0 lirc lirc-x

I didn't have to compile lirc and the modules are already part of the
stock debian kernel and are loaded when lircd is launched (set in
/etc/lirc/hardware.conf).

Anyway... there's nothing wrong with doing things the long way and it
will likely help our leet friend become a lnxmaster ;-).

Cheers,

- Ben

--
A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.