[mythtv-users] Audio loss during playback with "Encrypted VOB file!"

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 3 07:03:43 UTC 2005

On 06/02/05 20:38, Max Barry wrote:

>Twice in the past month, I've been watching a recorded TV show when it
>has suddenly lost audio. I dug up the .nuv file and played it with
>mplayer, and it had audio all the way through. However, at the exact
>point at which MythTV loses audio, mplayer spits out:
>
>  Encrypted VOB file! Read DOCS/HTML/en/dvd.html

>The two shows to experience this problem were different, but from the
>same channel (Channel 10). I capture digital TV in Australia using a DVB
>card. With one of the shows, the error is precisely between two
>advertisements.

Perhaps the next advertisement is copyrighted and the copyright holder
didn't want any unlicensed potential customers to see the ad.  :)

Kind of like the trailer for the movie Serenity (
http://www.serenitymovie.com/ ).  The High-Def version of the trailer (
http://www.serenitymovie.com/media/serenityT1_720p_8mbit_LTR_NR.zip @
131MB ) is actually encrypted WMV using Microsoft DRM!  (And, therefore,
the trailer is only playable on Windows.)  Now, isn't the whole point of
a trailer to give the movie broad exposure to a wide audience to try to
increase the number of people who pay to go see the movie?

I guess you have to show your MS Windows CoA at the ticket counter when
you go to see Serenity...  Either that or Universal knows that any Linux
user is likely to already have the "browncoat" mentality (i.e. are
"galactic outcasts"), and therefore is already planning to see the
movie.  :)

OK.  Back on subject...  Have you tried running the videos through any
tools to verify the streams?  For example, you could do some quick
checks with tcprobe, tcscan, etc. (others?)

Mike