[mythtv-users] Re: Hardware Recommendations?

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 3 13:30:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:25:06AM -0400, Todd Bowman wrote:
> I'm thinking of adding a second frontend to be able to watch content
> on a second TV and also to relieve some of the recording conflicts
> that keep popping up.  I'm looking for an "inexpensive" video
> capture card.  Since I have STBs for my digital cable, I don't need
> a TV tuner, just S-Video.  Does anybody have any recommendations?

I think you're confused.

The second frontend will let you watch content on a second TV, but it
won't help you with recording conflicts, nor does it need a video
capture card. (It will need a video card to display content to your
TV.)

Adding video capture cards to an existing backend (or building a
second slave backend machine) will help you with recording conflicts,
but by itself won't let you watch content on a second TV.

You can of course have machines running both FE and BE software.

(To [not] answer your explicitly-posed question, I don't have any
hardware recommendations.)

--Rob