[mythtv-users] OT: 160GB Western Digital, $30 after rebates

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 13:52:45 UTC 2005

On 6/4/05, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 3 June 2005 21:59, Brad Templeton wrote:
> > Even so, do you really want to fill up with drives as "small" as 160gb,
> > even at just 19 cents/gigabyte.   Now if you want to raid-5, such drives
> > make more sense if you can buy more than one of them.
>
> I read this with some amusement. It if were not for Myth and it's high demands
> on disk space I would be happy with a 40Gb drive for another year or three.
>
> I'm currently running one myth box on a 20Gb drive (15Gb actual vid space) and
> another on the balance of a 40Gb drive (approx 20Gb).
>
> Over here (UK) even an 80Gb drive sells at 3x the $30 of this particular WD
> 160Gb drive.. I'm currently on the lookout for bargins though and a 120/160Gb
> drive would easily satisfy me.
> --
> Stuart Morgan

Actually when you get away from specific sale items it's about
$0.90-$1.00/GB here in California. That seems generically true from
80GB up to 300GB and is true in the Bay Area where I live and Southern
CA where I just set up a wireless MythTV system for my parents so I'd
assume it's close in most major markets right now.

After 300GB it seems to go a bit crazy. I've seen 400GB cheaper than
300GB side by side on the shelf. I've also see 400GB at 2x 300GB. Go
figure... ;-)

Cheers,
Mark