[mythtv-users] recording a specific episode anytime?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jun 5 05:26:25 UTC 2005

Matthew Watson wrote:

>I too would like to see a "Find and record one episode" option for
>scheduling recordings.  I realize I am probably in the minority here,
>but I enjoy watching shows such as "Modern Marvels" and "History's
>Mysteries" on The History Channel.  Because the subjects of the shows
>vary greatly (from "Tanks" to "Nature's Engineers"), I don't want to
>record every single episode (sometimes 7+ per day).  Currently, every
>two weeks I go through the upcoming episodes and mark the ones I want
>as "Record only this showing," even though each episode may have 2 or
>3 air times.  I then have to go back through all the marked episodes
>and manually correct conflict problems (i only have one input source,
>fun fun).

Have you considered doing it the other way?  Although you don't want to
record all of them, you could tell Myth you do want to (All showings on
Any channel).  Then, go through your Scheduled Recordings and set any
episodes you don't want to "Never Record."  This way, Myth has the
leeway to choose the most appropriate showing of any particular episode,
but you don't have to record/delete the ones you don't want.

I realize that with 351 episodes of Modern Marvels (
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/EpisodeGuideServlet/showid-14749/Modern_Marvels/
), this approach may seem daunting at first, but I'm pretty certain
you'll spend much less time with this approach than your current one
(especially using MythWeb with 2 browser windows/tabs and dragging the
"Never Record" link from one window to another).  Also, if there are
actually 7 different episodes showing some days, you'll teach Myth which
ones you don't want in no time (once it's in the oldrecorded table, you
never have to worry about Myth recordings it again).

I've taught Myth which episodes of the Simpsons I've seen.  They've
already aired 356 episodes of The Simpsons (
http://www.tvtome.com/Simpsons/eplist.html , at about 3 different
episodes per day) and I had previously seen at least 300 of them when I
started.  A quick query in MySQL shows there are only 4 episodes
outstanding...

mysql> select count(*) from oldrecorded where title = 'The Simpsons';
| count(*) |
|      352 |