[mythtv-users] Re: Audio loss during playback with "Encrypted VOB file!"

Max Barry mythtv at maxbarry.com
Mon Jun 6 04:43:06 UTC 2005

Indra wrote:
>  On 6/3/05, Max Barry wrote:
>>
>> Twice in the past month, I've been watching a recorded TV show when it
>> has suddenly lost audio. I dug up the .nuv file and played it with
>> mplayer, and it had audio all the way through. However, at the exact
>> point at which MythTV loses audio, mplayer spits out:
>>
>> Encrypted VOB file! Read DOCS/HTML/en/dvd.html
>>
>> MythTV doesn't produce any special messages when running in verbose
>> mode. It simply stops writing audio to the sound card at that point.
>>
>> I tried skipping past the problem, saving a position, and restarting
>> playback, but no good: MythTV won't play any audio from that point in
>> the file onward.
>>
>> The two shows to experience this problem were different, but from the
>> same channel (Channel 10). I capture digital TV in Australia using a DVB
>> card. With one of the shows, the error is precisely between two
>> advertisements.
>>
>> My system specs: MythTV 18.0, mplayer 1.0pre6-3.3.5-20050130,
>> 2.6.10-gentoo-r6 kernel, nvidia 1.0.7174, alsa:spdif output.
>>
>> Any help appreciated!
>>
>> Max.
>
> G'day,
> I have had similar problems in the past and found a solution somewhere
> on this list. Switching the audio channels (+/- I think) seems to make
> it work again after you get past the point where you lose audio. Or at
> least it worked for me and a friend here in australia.
>
> Cheers
> Indra

Ahh, you're right! Thank you!

The show (Seinfeld) has two audio channels: #1 is Dolby Digital 2/0 and
#2 is PCM. Prior to the "Encrypted VOB file!" error, only channel #1
gives any sound. After that point, it's the opposite: #1 is silent but
channel #2 plays sound.

Then, just to make it weirder: when I skip back to before the error, PCM
sound DOES continue to play on the previously unavailable channel #2. So
does Dolby on #1, if I switch channels. But once I do, #2 becomes
unavailable again: switching back to it gives no sound again.

It'd be interesting to know why, but I have a solution now so I'm happy,
thank you. :)

Max.