[mythtv-users] Playback problem on M10k - Unable to create XvMC Blocks

Robert Coup robert2 at coup.net.nz
Mon Jun 6 07:27:10 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I have a newly setup MythTV system, running a PVR-150 on an EPIA M10000
system. After a couple of days of playing, everything prettymuch works,
except for hw-accelerated playback within mythtv.

If I try to watch live tv, or play back a recording, I get a "Unable to
initialize video" screen and logs that look like
(xvmc-problem.mythtv.log). I think the critical message is "Unable to
create XvMC Blocks". If I disable XvMC in myth's playback settings it
works (but its stressing the cpu too much so video skips).

I followed the excellent Myth(TV)ology guide by Jarod for the most part.
- Fedora Core 3, with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC3
- MythTV (0.18.1), DRM, ALSA, LIRC from ATrpms
- Terry Barnaby's RPMs for Unichrome (2005/04/30)

As far as I can tell, the via hw-decoder is working within xine (see
xine.vid.log) when I use -V xxmc to play a video.  Trying to open
/dev/video0 doesn't work within xine, but thats probably just my
ignorance (xine.tv.log)

If I use mplayer to watch TV [via ptune-ui & /dev/video0] it all works
(mplayer.log). Using mplayer/xvmc I get output like (mplayer.xvmc.log)

All these logs/configs are at:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~coup/mythtv/060605/
Xorg.conf, dmesg output, /var/log/messages, and Xorg.log are all there too.

Thanks in advance,

Rob :)