[mythtv-users] OT: 160GB Western Digital, $30 after rebates

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 20:34:57 UTC 2005

On 6/3/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> As for enclosures I use 2 or 3 types. Mostly I recommend sticking with
> Oxford Semi chip sets.
>
> For 1394a I use mostly ADS Tech cases. They are 1394/USB 2.0. This
> seems to be the most recent version:
>
> http://www.adstech.com/products/DLX185/intro/DLX185intro.asp?pid=DLX185

Other posters in this thread are right.. you start running out of IDE
channels, SATA channels, and then plain case space. Even with a
hardware raid controller (which I'd love to do, but 8 channel ones are
expensive) you still have to worry about the case. You have the heat
of the drives, the heat of the cards, cpu etc, all in one big box.

My primary backend has (4) 80mm thermaltake high-cfm fans. Works
great. Noisy but case stays room temp.

I'm looking for, as I'm sure are others, a good multi-drive Firewire
enclosure. Something I could cram 5-6 drives into, plug a single
firewire into my backend, and call it good. Hardware raid would be a
bonus, but not a requirement.

I'm sure someone makes one that isn't $500.