[mythtv-users] OT: building an HD Frontend for $250 or less

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 20:40:10 UTC 2005

On 6/6/05, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/6/05, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > So how are you getting that into component output?  Do you have some
> > > sort of scan converter?
>
> You can use the S-out if you want, or use a VGA-Componant converter

S-out != HD Frontend
VGA-component converted -- add another $100 (AA 9A60)
Or get a nvidia card which has component out (similarly priced).

So, your cost is now $350 instead of 250.

If you want to run mythfrontend only with HD capabilities, then PC is
probably your only option (other than Roku HD1000, which has myth
frontend ported and its 299).

But if you are open to other things and dont mind tinkering with linux
server applications etc than look at IOdata AVeL Link Player 2
(http://www.iodata.com) . Its network dvd player with HD capabilities,
has windows and linux server, supports Mpeg2-TS stream. Check out the
avsforum, there is a 150 page thread on the player. The player is $250
at the iodata us site. Slim dvd player profile, no hard drives, no
fans, component output, extreme WAF ! Also does upscaling of the dvds
(unofficially).

I'm recording stuff from HD3000 but I'm going to get LP2 for the
frontend. Buffalo has a similar product (Link Theater) but it still
has lots of bugs.

Thanks
Mudit